Monday, 3 August 2015

Homemade Weed Killer

I tried out a homemade weed killer spray this week. I applied it, not realizing our weather forecast called for rain.  The spray was only on the weeds for a couple of hours before it started to rain.  I'm surprised to report that it has still been effective in killing off dandelions and plantain in my driveway!  Some of the little grassy areas I sprayed are starting to yellow a bit.  At this point I'm not sure if grass takes longer to kill, needs more solution applied, or needs more time to sink in (before rain washes it away).

Recipe:
-1/4 cup of salt
-squirt of liquid dish detergent (I used blue Dawn)
-vinegar to fill

Put salt and liquid dish soap in a spray bottle.  Fill with vinegar.  The vinegar will dissolve the salt and dish soap (I gently shook mine to speed the process up).  

*Note - large amounts of salt can damage soil (as in, nothing will ever grow there again).  The salt in this recipe seems minimal to me, but use at your own discretion.  As mentioned, I used this in small quantities in my driveway.

Pictures will follow.  Please bear with me while I learn the ins and outs of managing a blog.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment